The Science Museum of Minnesota is pleased to announce their opportunity to expand their Development & Membership team through the new roles of Senior Manager of Institutional Giving, Mission Advancement and Senior Manager of Leadership Giving, Mission Advancement.
As a senior member of the Development & Membership team, this position is responsible for developing and executing successful strategies to manage and grow the individual major giving program, including leadership giving, planned giving, and mid-level giving. This position is responsible for implementing strategies for soliciting donors and prospective donors with the capacity of making leadership level and transformational level gifts either annually or to designated programs, projects and campaigns that support the museum’s vision and plans. This position manages a major donor portfolio and supervises three giving officers, along with supporting the portfolio management of other senior leaders in the organization.
Along with colleagues, this role works to create a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization, and collaborates with others on donor research and analytics, stewardship and communications, and working to center equity in our fundraising and donor engagement programs. This person plays a key role in major campaigns and manages a portfolio of major individual donors and works to create and grow the individual donor program by implementing fundraising best practices in support of the organization’s growth and equity goals, values, and commitments.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads and manages, comprehensive fundraising strategies for sustaining and growing transformational gifts, legacy gifts, and developing and growing the leadership giving pipeline to meet overall museum goals.
- Manages a portfolio of donors and prospects through strategic donor-centered moves management practices, and fosters long-term donor relationships to increase overall engagement and yield significant support.
- Manages a team of fundraising officers to grow the individual giving program, increase engagement, build the pipeline, and grow fundraising revenue to support the museum’s mission and future plans; sets team wide goals, metrics, and reporting processes to deliver against goals.
- Partners with others to create and deliver solicitation communication, stewardship, and recognition programs to support growing the Leadership Giving program; manages strategies for all aspects of major donor touchpoints.
- Plays a leadership role in fundraising campaigns and capital campaigns, and is actively engaged in organizational planning initiatives.
- Manages best-practice donor relationship activities and processes for the team in partnership with the Director of Development and Membership
- Creates and implements engagement, stewardship and solicitation programs for Trustees, Charter and Supporting members, planned gift donors, and donors and groups of donors with specific interests (such as paleontology or climate change).
- Partners with the broader team to create and implement community-centered fundraising strategies to broaden pathways to engagement and support and in alignment with the museum’s equity goals, values and plans.
- Ensures best-practice CRM data processes for the Leadership Giving team in partnership with operations staff, and prospect research to ensure consistent and comprehensive data support, tracking, analysis and required reporting in support of donor relations strategies, planning, and coordinated activities.
- Manages, builds and maintains internal and external relationships that further the mission of the museum by cultivating relationships between the Twin Cities’ donor community, philanthropic leaders and the museum.
- Serves as a public ambassador of the museum’s experience, mission, impact, and vision, representing the museum as an important local, regional and national cultural asset.
- Promote the culture of philanthropy internally and externally, including engaging senior leaders, program directors and board members as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience in fundraising and major gifts required.
- Demonstrated Track record of working with senior level management.
- Working knowledge of fundraising trends and best practices.
- Prior experience managing a high functioning team preferred.
- Must be able to successfully work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends based on donor needs and event schedule.
- Occasional local travel and on rare occasions out of state travel required
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
Along with meeting the experience requirements and opportunity specifications, the ideal candidate must possess several critical success factors aligning with our values of collaboration, equity, and learning. They are as follows:
- Communication: Expresses oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others and ensures that information is shared with others who should be informed.
- Collaboration: Develops, maintains, and strengthens partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Cultural Competence: Seeks to understand, appreciate, and work effectively with people who have different cultural backgrounds or belief systems. Demonstrates personal and professional commitment to furthering equity, inclusion, accessibility and belonging.
- Customer Service: Demonstrates an understanding of the SMM mission by ensuring that their own interactions with internal and external customers consistently support the mission.
- Fostering an Inclusive Community: Contributes to a museum environment, and people, that reflect and respond to the diverse needs and cultures of our community (internal and external).
- Mission Aligned: Passionate about equity, inclusion, & access and its importance to the ongoing work of the museum. Supports STEM as a valuable asset for communities to thrive and live in a global society. Models and advocates just, anti-racist, equity-focused, and inclusive science, education, and collaboration in all the Museum’s endeavors.
- Results Orientation: Focuses on providing a best in class visitor experience through work outcomes by meeting personal and organizational work objectives.
- Strategic Acumen: Understands the market, identifies trends, and drives the organization to create comprehensive, competitive and breakthrough strategies. Prioritizes strategically, leading the organization to pursue and capitalize on the best opportunities.
The annual salary range for this role will be $100,000 to $130,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition, the Science Museum of Minnesota offers excellent benefits including group health insurance, dental/vision, 403b retirement match, PTO, and more.
David Edgerton Jr. of The DEJ Group has been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit your cover letter and resume via email to [email protected] All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Science Museum of Minnesota is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and that enables each person to realize their potential. The Science Museum of Minnesota’ work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds, and levels of physical ability.
ABOUT THE DEJ GROUP
The DEJ Group is a national retained executive search and recruiting firm that works to connect exceptional diverse talent with exceptional inclusive companies. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about The DEJ Group, visit thedejgroup.com.