The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for planning, managing, and executing a comprehensive strategy that drives impact within the organization. The Chief Executive Officer serves as the external face of Ujamaa Place to the local community and the various key stakeholders of Ujamaa Place.
As a strategic leader and champion of Black men, you will be responsible for recruiting, developing, and retaining staff to help serve the clients of the organizations.
Moreover, the selected candidate will work to ensure that the proper infrastructure is in place to support the high-performing, results-oriented, mission-aligned team in reaching their goals and contributing to the mission of Ujamaa Place. As such, the selected candidate will have highly effective communication and listening skills, set clear and realistic expectations for staff, and possess the ability to inspire and activate individuals across all levels.
As a leader, the selected candidate will thrive when it comes to leading with transparency, collaborating, vision-setting, creating accountability, and maximizing the impact of diverse skills, talents, and experiences of the team. As an intentional, strategic, results-oriented, and mission-driven leader, the Chief Executive Officer ensures that the organization has the strategic priorities and relationships needed to achieve the mission of Ujamaa Place.
The Chief Executive Officer is integral to the culture, effectiveness, and impact of Ujamaa Place:
Visionary & Inspirational Leadership
• Responsible for leading in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Executive Committee.
• Provide overall management of the organization in all operational areas including human resources, information technology, facilities management, purchasing, budgeting, and finance/accounting
• Shares Ujamaa Place’s mission, vision, and goals with key stakeholders in a way that increases involvement, enhances engagement, and inspires participant achievement
• Communicates and supports Ujamaa Place’s mission, vision, and goals with all staff in a manner that inspires and instills the belief that they are contributing to something greater than themselves
• Works with Executive Committee and Board of Directors to fulfill the organization mission.
• Collaborates with the board in short and long-term planning and partners to develop strategic initiatives for the organization
• Responsible for communicating effectively with the Executive Committee and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Executive Committee to function properly and to make informed decisions.
• Responsible for providing direction for, and convening of, the full Board of Director’s sessions quarterly, or as deemed appropriate throughout the year.
• Effectively utilizes all forms of communication (e.g., verbal, written, technology-based) to ensure all stakeholders have necessary information to successfully further the organization’s mission, vision and values
• Develops resources to support participant recruitment and annual partnerships sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization
• Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the organization, to include submission to the Executive Committee of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
• Responsible for fiscal management to operate within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
• Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support the ongoing mission.
• Responsible for growth in fundraising through membership, partnerships and event revenue
• Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
• Instills and develops the organizational culture, one of the key components to our success as an organization
• Cultivates, recruits, develops and retains diverse, highly effective talent
• Responsible for the effective administration of all operations.
• Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff and vendor partners.
• Responsible for signing all contracts and agreements on behalf of the organization.
• Works in close collaboration with the board of directors to develop and execute a strategic plan to maintain community relations, determine the programmatic direction, support donor cultivation, and ensure program satisfaction.
• Ensures compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, rules, and Ujamaa Place policies and standards
• Collaborates with staff to provide programmatic oversight, ensuring alignment in the development and implementation of Ujamaa Place programs
• Maintain and promote a high-quality standard for Ujamaa Place, both internally and externally, while ensuring fidelity to our program model and achieving key metrics
• Ensures appropriate evaluation of program efforts and maintains a results-focused orientation across every aspect of Ujamaa Place’s work in the region.
Fundraising and External Relations
• Collaborate with the staff to design, develop and implement funding strategies to support Ujamaa Place’s programs
• Actively works to elevate the Ujamaa Place brand by serving as a thought-leader on issues facing Black men at various events, meeting with community partners and stakeholders, and acting as a primary external advocate for the organization
Marketing & Communications
• Collaborates with staff on the marketing and communications efforts in the local community and supports the elevation of Ujamaa Place’s brand identity in the region.
• Serves as the main spokesperson in the Minnesota community and provides strategic direction for special events and media efforts
PREFERED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• At least 10 years of professional experience overall, with a minimum of five years of senior- leadership experience supervising seasoned staff operating multiple human services programs across a broad geography. Solid educational background including an undergraduate degree and/or an MBA or similar advanced degree.
• Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams, developing an organization-wide strategy for program excellence, engaging community partners, and partnering with a CEO and board of directors.
• Can point to tangible examples of reporting and program measurement and evaluation. Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in her/his work, and has experience of leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
• Passionate about Ujamaa Place’s mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission and values of Ujamaa Place to external and internal stakeholders.
• Ability to travel to provide on-site leadership for operating units and programs.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
Along with meeting the experience requirements and opportunity specifications, the ideal candidate must possess several critical success factors aligning with our values of collaboration, equity, and learning. They are as follows:
• Communication: Expresses oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others and ensures that information is shared with others who should be informed. Able to sell vision to donors to generate revenue.
• Cultural Competence: Seeks to understand, appreciate, and work effectively with people who have different cultural backgrounds or belief systems. Demonstrates personal and professional commitment to furthering equity, inclusion, access and belonging.
• Leadership around DEI: Fosters a diverse, equitable, and inclusion environment, and people, that reflect and respond to the diverse needs and cultures of our community (internal and external). Puts DEI values into action.
• Mission Aligned: Passionate about equity, inclusion, & college access and its importance to the work of Ujamaa Place.
• Relationship Builder: Able to build relationships at all levels of the organization and with external partners, donors, and stakeholders. Build trust through relationships and be transparent where appropriate.
• Results Orientation: Focuses on providing a best-in-class experience through work outcomes by meeting personal and organizational work objectives.
• Strategic Acumen: Understands the environment, identifies trends, and drives the organization to create comprehensive, competitive and breakthrough strategies. Strategic thinker who can communicate and implement the vision/plan for growth of the local organization.
The annual salary range for this role will start at $150,000 to $160,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition, Ujamaa Place offers excellent benefits including complete health, dental, life, short-term, and long-term insurance. Ujamaa Place also offers a 401(k)-retirement plan, encouraged sustainability through a generous paid time off program, personalized professional development and growth opportunities, and an opportunity to have a tremendous impact both internally and across the country
David Edgerton Jr. of The DEJ Group has been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit your cover letter and resume via email to [email protected] All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Ujamaa Place is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status about public assistance. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals and conduct all possible activities in fully accessible settings.